Butterfly Reflections

Life...what can I say but it happpens and then you learn.

Monday, January 14, 2008

"Huge Milestone In My Life"

I know I have not been so faithful on the updating on my blog. I might not even have anyone that will read this. I apologize for my lack of posting lately. I don't know that I have an excuse really, but here goes. I guess life has just been busy.

Here is what I want to share with you today. As many of you know that on October 3, 2006, my life as I knew it changed forever. I had to take on a new way of life when it came to healthy living. I had a choice to make. I could really make a complete lifestyle change that would alter my health and future health forever or I could simply revert back to my old ways and habits. Here I am over a year later and I can proudly say that I chose the complete lifestyle change. I have successfully lost 180 pounds. I am only 20 pounds away from reaching the goal weight that I set for myself when this whole thing began. Wow.......I cannot believe it!!! I never thought I would ever see the day that I stuck to anything like this. Not only have I changed my way of eating but my way of living has changed also. I am more active than I have ever been in my entire life. I haven't run a marathon or anything but who knows what my future holds. I find myself enjoying getting out and just walking about. Before, going to the grocery store was exhausting and almost intolerable.

One thing that I would like to say is that just because I had a gastric bypass does not mean that I didn't have to do any hard work or make sacrifices. Some times people look at weight loss surgery and think you didn't have to do anything at all. I will agree that it is a great tool to get you jump started, however, you do have to commit to a lifestyle change. There are foods that you must commit to never eating again. Sugars are no longer a part of your life. I have to look at the sugar content for everything I even thing of eating. If it has more than 12g per serving forget it and I rarely eat things that have that much in them. Those are the treats for me when I feel that I must have something. It is amazing. It was also really hard for me at times. I never realized that would actually mourn food. When I say mourn, I mean cry because I could not eat something that I always loved so dearly. I never truly realized that I was addicted to food especially for emotional purposes. Now, I deal with the problems that come my way in a healthy way. I no longer look to food for comfort. I look to my God, my husband, my friends, or my family. God has taught me so much throughout these last 15 months.

If anything, I want to be an encouragement to anyone who may need it.

Lastly, I want to thank my wonderful husband Wayne. He has been my ROCK at times. Those times when I was mourning food, he was there holding me. Wayne, I love you more and more each day. If it were not for your support and understanding, I am not sure I could have come this far. I feel blessed, truly blessed, to have you for my husband, soul mate, and best friend.

Well, until next time......

4 Comments:

  • At 1/14/2008 10:55:00 PM, Blogger Christina said…

    I love you Paula! We're so proud of you. YOU ROCK!

     
  • At 1/15/2008 10:50:00 PM, Blogger Stephanie said…

    Surprise... people do still check your blog, waiting for the day that you will post again... alas, that day has come. :)

    You look so good, and I am so happy for you... anyone who thinks you haven't worked obviously has no idea what they are talking about. And yes, you do have an amazing husband. :)

     
  • At 1/17/2008 01:16:00 PM, Blogger Kathy said…

    Not only do we check, but we sigh everytime we read 'The Leisters Do Hollywood' over and over and over. Haha.
    You are incredibly driven and courageous woman to have taken control of your life in this manner. Even though it took the strength of God and the support of your husband, YOU made the choice and you did the work and you should be very proud of yourself.
    Congrats sexy lady!

     
  • At 1/17/2008 07:18:00 PM, Blogger The Secret of Happiness said…

    Paula...you are incredible.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home